My daughter introduced me to the coconut water craze.
She noticed the cartons of Vita Coco at Costco a few weeks ago and persuaded me to try it. She educated me on all the goodness and benefits of coconut water.
Heres a short list of the goodness that comes with drinking coconut water: (http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/coconut-water.html)
- The juice is packed with simple sugar, electrolytes, and minerals to replenish hydration levels within the body.
- Research studies suggest that cytokinins(e.g., kinetin and trans-zeatin) in coconut water showed significant anti-ageing, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic effects.
- Coconut water has been generally offered to patients with diarrhea in many tropic regions.
- The enzymes in coconut water help in the digestion and metabolism.
- Despite very light consistency, its water has much better composition of minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc than some of the fruits like oranges.
- Its water is also a very good source of B-complex vitamins, essential in the sense that the human body requires them from external sources to replenish.
- Coconut water contains a very good amount of electrolyte potassium. 100 ml of water has 250 mg of potassium and 105 mg of sodium. Together, these electrolytes help replenish electrolyte deficiency in the body due to diarrhea (loose stools).
- Further, fresh coconut water has a small amount of vitamin-C (Ascorbic acid); It provides about 2.4 mg or 4% of RDA. Vitamin C is a water-soluble ant-oxidant.
So far, I have tried two kinds of coconut water – Vita Coco which I mentioned earlier and can be purchased at Costco. Vita Coco is very commercialized with famous celebrities endorsing the product. The 12 pack tetrapak at Costco costs $14.99. It is 100% coconut water with added vitamin C. The instructions on the box caution the consumer to limit their intake to two boxes a day.
The second brand of coconut water I have tried is called King Island, imported from Thailand. The carton is 1L, purchased at T&T Supermarket. I can’t remember the price, but it was very inexpensive compared to the Vita Coco at Costco. This one left an aftertaste which I am getting accustomed to. I think this one might be more pure tasting. I think Vita Coco goes through some processes before it is ready to be sold to the consumer.
Update February 9th, 2013
I recently tried the Presidents Choice Coconut Water. This one is the least pure since its from concentrate. I would also say this one is probably the most expensive out of the three – $3.99 for a 1L carton. I have to say this one tasted really good, it was crisp, cold, clean and made me want to drink more . (What did they add to it?) PC probably neutralized it the most in order to cater to the mass audience.
Out of the three variety of coconut water brands above I most likely will add King Isand Coconut Water to my regular grocery list. If I frequented Costco more, I would probably buy Vita Coco on a regular basis. The PC brand, I would only purchase it on occasion or stock up when its on sale.