Bob’s Bacon

Have you ever seen Bob’s Bacon at the grocery store, but was hesitant to purchase it because of the low, low price ($2 – 3)??  Well, I decided to give it a go because the prices of the other bacons offered were almost double the price.

The slices are nice and thick.  There were equal portions of fat and meat.  It took a bit longer to fry up because of the thickness of each slice.  Some slices were thicker than others and reminded me of back bacon.  Two slices of Bob’s Bacon should be sufficient for breakfast, as opposed to 3 or 4 slices of the usual brand.

The taste was good and smoky.  The meat was flavourful and meaty.  The fat part was nice and crispy (I love bacon fat even though its bad for you).  This bacon reminded me of the smoked bacon that my daughter’s Croatian grandmother cures.

I was reading some reviews that really dissed this bacon…. maybe they were afraid of the new product vs the low, low price so automatically assumed its bad….

I bought the bacon at FreshCo.  I think its also available at Ocean’s.

Thats a photo of my breakfast this morning with a couple of slices of Bob’s Bacon (sorry, I already started digging into my meal before suddenly remembering to take a photo).  I forgot to take a photo of the packaging.

Update October 24th, 2013:
Thanks to information provided by Marsh, Bob’s Bacon can be found at Food Basics!

Advertisements

29 Comments Add yours

1. Mark says:

I just bought some Bob’s Bacon from my local Giant Tiger store because I was out of bacon and it was on special. I was not impressed at first sight. The bacon appeared fatty and badly cut.

When I got home and opened the package I found I was right about it being badly cut, but when I reached in and pulled out a slice of bacon *a quarter inch thick* that was a mistake I can certainly live with, and I was instantly in love. (Most slices are about 1/8″ thick. Many are thinner. The one I grabbed was a lucky fluke.)

The love continued once I cooked that baby up. It was absolutely delicious, and was so think I needed a knife and fork to eat it.

I’ve now got several packages in my freezer, and I hope Giant Tiger is going to continue selling this brand.

Viva Bob’s Bacon!

1. PeterC says:

I love Bob’s bacon and if they cut it properly it would be the best bacon available!

2. Bryce says:

One of the better bacon brands out there is the Great Valu brand by Walmart – they usually have them at 2 for $5 dollars.
    Outside of taste, the other factor I consider when buying/reviewing bacon is the amount of fat that is leftover once the cooking is done.
    The Walmart brand is lower in fat compared to other brands – such as Smithfield. Smithfield IMO is one of the greasiest.

3. Reggie says:

I can’t seem to find Bob’s Bacon at FreshCo anymore…. :S

4. Anonymous says:

That is the whole thing about BoBs bacon is that the slices are not equal . Some are fat and some are thin , remindes me of being a kid when the world was not so perfect , but it was a good world, when my father cut his own bacon from a slab , not always the same but that is what made it great . BOB”S BACON is the best !

5. Bill Downing says:

Hi, love Bobs Bacon, what a delicious flavour. Unfortunately bit into a piece of wrine and broke off half a tooth, still delicious but now have this problem, can you help me out Bob, no coverage, Bill. billdowning2010@hotmail.com

6. Anonymous says:

I love Bob’s Bacon due to the unevenly cut pieces & it tastes good! Many times I get large chunks with little fat. I would think the inconsistant slices is partly why this bacon sells cheap (presentation) because IMO there is no issue with taste. This is the #1 brand we buy.

7. bridgeto says:

We doubted bob. But best bacon ive ever tried, thick and delish!

8. Anonymous says:

i agree, bob’s bacon is best bang for your buck, but the last two packages that i purchased at food basics must have been a really bad batch! it was as if i fried up the bacon, and then powder coated it with pure salt. i ended up throwing out both packages. so if you’re reading this “Bob”, please monitor your quality control department better so your costumers are not wasting their money. thanks

9. Anonymous says:

Like the first poster I went and purchased four packages at Giant Tiger in Moncton, N.B. thinking it was a good bargain. Very meaty and fatty bacon. The first package I cooked up seemed great using it in a toasted BLT sandwich. The second time I cooked two packages for bigger crowd. I always render bacon on the stove at low heat for best results. Second two package lot was awfully briny. Few might have complaints because its a meaty bacon however; its not traditionally my favorite Canadian Bacon. Of course people will buy cheaper beacon just for that. More of a budget bacon if anything else. Marketed by Safina Foods Markham, Ontario partly own by Lilydale Meats

10. At $2.00 per pound, this is usually a good buy. I search under the packages for the best looking one. When Selection bacon is on for $2.99 I buy that. I’ve seen name brands going for five and six bucks at Walmart.

11. bacon lover says:

Love bob’s bacon ! 1 it needs to be oven backed . there is no better bacon than bobs bacon i’m hooked ..

12. Anonymous says:

Worse cuts I’ve. Ever seen

13. Mark State says:

This was fabulous bacon. The very best. Where is it now?

1. Reggie says:

I would like to know too!

1. PeterC says:

Our local Freshco and Food basics always carry it!

14. Anonymous says:

Bobs is super cheap the uneven cuts are awesome and it is uber delicious best bacon and best price

15. Marsh says:

We love this bacon. Very tasty and there seems to be more meat and less fat. The slices are thicker and have more flavour than other brands. I am a fan. Have several packages in my freezer. $2.97 per package at Food Basics.

1. Reggie says:

Thanks for this info! I’ve been looking for this bacon for the last little while since FreshCo. no longer has it. Now I’m going to check out Food Basics near me.

16. David says:

We purchased Bob’s Bacon a few days ago and it is easily the saltiest bacon I’ve ever had! I love salt, so when I think something is too salty its borderline dangerous. Presentation is bad, but it does have good flavor.

17. Caroleanne says:

I get my Bob’s at Giant Tiger also. It’s not the prettiest looking bacon but it’s so good! And the price is right!

18. rb says:

Picked up Bob’s Bacon at Giant Tiger, on special this week for $1.47 (Reg. $3) for 500g. She ain’t pretty, but she’s cheap! It was edible, strange sizes and pretty fatty. I prefer Maple Leaf, but they’re shrinking their package down to 375g and still charging $5.99 for ’em at Sobeys/Superstore.

19. Kirk says:

Yah, Bob’s bacon is the best. It is apparently “ends and seconds” from more famous brands. Ends have lower fat, but are not evenly machine-cut. Seconds are just not evenly cut. So this is fine bacon that is cosmetically challenged. Try it. You will learn to love every misshapen bit of it!

20. Carl says:

Bobs bacon disappeared from Food Basics I guess because they where cheap. We love Bobs bacon and buy it at Fresh Value, a Chinese grocery store for about 2 packs for $5. You just never really know what you are going to get when you open the pack and I like that!

21. Anonymous says:

Best bacon ever and we have tried a lot of bacons Could add a sideline of maple flavored bobs. Cuts? Thick thin whatever, fried broiled fire roasted added to chilis or beans the best so far.

22. Marilyn Hart says:

Just bought a package @ $1.00 at No Frills yesterday…you should have seen the customer’s throwing 5 or 6 in their baskets. I cut off a lot of the fat and just cooked the meat…at one point I was ready to toss it (lots of brine and salt)but my husband wanted to try it so I continued…it was actually quite tasty…a treat…but not sure I would buy it again…just for the health issue and all the fat..

23. Steve says:

You cant judge Bob’s Bacon on one package. Everyone is different and usually has a surprise. One of the my packages had only two slices! But they were huge thick bacon steaks. Divine. They disappear from the shelves and then reappear. Do yourdelf a favour and stock up your freezer.

24. Heidi says:

I am not impressed by Bob’s Bacon. First off my house stinks of maple bacon and I really did like maple bacon. Stopped cooking it immediately read the pack doesn’t say maple bacon on the packaging but if you read the small ingredients list says may contain maple flavouring. This product should have maple bacon on the front! Might be cheap but when you throw the whole pack away without eating it doesn’t make it cheap. Next thing try to find out who makes it. I’ve searched a bunch of different things and can’t find out anything but reviews. I would not buy this product ever again.

25. Fred Parker says:

Doesn’t look any worse than some of the pricey bacon out there. Tasted great! Perfect for BLTs or even for dicing up for perogies or Cesar salads. You can’t really go wrong at 50 cents a pack at Giant Tiger. I’d definitely buy it again!